Eric Fisher’s weekly column on a variety of topics. This week Eric serves up opinions on the Eagles’ depth problems, the Olympics and the Soul’s challenge at ArenaBowl XXIX.
A quick look at 10 sports stories in the news…
1. Phillies trade Ruiz to Dodgers Carlos Ruiz, who spent entire 11-year career with Phillies, traded to Dodgers after clearing waivers. Phillies receive catcher A.J. Ellis, minor-league pitcher Tommy Bergjans and player to be named later. Ruiz batting .261 this season. He has been catcher for 4 no-hitters. Ruiz joins Chase Utley for shot at championship with first-place Dodgers.
2. Seumalo to miss Colts game Rookie left guard Isaac Seumalo to miss Saturday’s preseason game against Colts (7 p.m.) due to strained pectoral injury. Stefen Wisniewski will start in Seumalo’s place. Seumalo was starting in place of Allen Barbre, who moved to right tackle to prepare for Lane Johnson’s expected 10-game suspension.
3. Wentz throws again Eagles rookie quarterback Carson Wentz, the No. 2 pick in the NFL Draft, does light throwing on sideline Monday, just as he did Saturday in first practice activity since fracturing rib during fourth quarter of his NFL debut against Bucs in preseason opener. Head coach Doug Pederson says he hopes Wentz can return for final preseason game on Sept. 1. OT Lane Johnson (back), kicker Caleb Sturgis (concussion), CB Blake Countess (concussion), DL Mike Martin (knee), CB JaCorey Shepherd (hamstring) return from injuries to practice Monday. WR Jordan Matthews (left knee strain), CB Aaron Grymes (shoulder) remain sidelined. Matthews says he’ll be ready for season opener on Sept. 11 against Browns. Eagles reach injury settlement with WR Hunter Sharp.
4. No Blog Talk Radio this Sunday Sunday’s edition of PhillyPhanatics.com’s Blog Talk Radio show has been canceled. Please join us on Sun., Sept. 4 for our Eagles preview edition. To listen to the most recent show, please click here. (To listen to past shows, please click here.)
5. Phillies defeat White Sox Cesar Hernandez, Tommy Joseph homer, Aaron Altherr delivers 2 RBI singles as Phillies defeat host White Sox, 5-3. Jerad Eickhoff limits White Sox to 2 runs in 6 innings. Adam Morgan to start Friday (7:10 p.m.) as Phillies continue road trip against Mets.
6. Eagles sign Tulloch Eagles sign veteran LB Stephen Tulloch. Need for Tulloch, who played for Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, increased after rookie LB Joe Walker, a 7th-round draft pick, tears ACL during Thursday’s win over Steelers and will miss entire season. Eagles already thin at LB before Walker’s injury. Don Cherry, signed as free agent from Villanova, becomes primary backup to middle linebacker Jordan Hicks. Eagles trade offensive lineman Dennis Kelly to Titans for WR Dorial Green-Beckham (6-5, 237), a second-round 2015 draft choice who had 32 catches for 549 yards during rookie season. Green-Beckham has history of off-field problems (he was kicked off the University of Missouri team) and work ethic and consistency issues.
7. Soul to play for title Soul square off with Arizona on Friday (7 p.m.) in ArenaBowl XXIX. Rattlers going to ArenaBowl for 5th time in last 6 seasons.
8. Union edge Columbus Fabian Herbers, Keegan Rosenberry scores 2nd-half goals to lift visiting Union to 2-1 triumph over Columbus. Rosenberry scores game-winner, with assist by Tranquillo Barnetta, in 74th minute, just 1 minute after Crew had tied score.
9. Ex-La Salle star Brooks dies at 58 Michael Brooks, who scored 2,628 points during his career at La Salle, died Monday after suffering stroke at hospital in Switzerland, according to report by Inquirer columnist Mike Sielski. Brooks, a West Catholic High graduate, was named NCAA player of year for 1979-80 season and was named captain of 1980 U.S. Olympic basketball team, which did not compete due to boycott of Olympics in Russia.
10. Earnhardt to miss 2 more races Dale Earnhardt Jr. to miss at least 2 more races due to concussion-like symptoms. That would leave just one opportunity to win a race — Sept. 10 at Richmond — to qualify for Chase for Sprint Cup.
(Listen live to PhillyPhanatics.com’s weekly Internet Blog Talk Radio program on Sundays from 6:30-7 p.m. — or call in to express your opinion or ask a question — by calling 805-727-7014. To listen to past shows, please click here.)
Cardinals 4, Phillies 3 (11 inngs.)
Phillies 4, Cardinals 2
Toronto 3, Union 1
Cardinals 9, Phillies 0
No games scheduled
White Sox 9, Phillies 1
Phillies 5, White Sox 3
Union 2, Columbus 1
No games scheduled
Phillies at Mets, 7:10 p.m.
Soul vs. Arizona, 7 p.m.
(at Glendale, Ariz.)
Eagles at Colts, 7 p.m.
Phillies at Mets, 7:10 p.m.
Sporting Kansas City at Union, 7 p.m.
Phillies at Mets, 1:10 p.m.
FOR LEAGUE-WIDE SCORES AND STANDINGS, CLICK ON THE LINKS UNDER THE “STANDINGS” HEADING IN THE SIDEBAR TO THE RIGHT, OR IN THE HEADING AT THE UPPER-RIGHT OF THIS PAGE
This year’s Olympics have been marred by several anti-Semitic incidents and violence, yet Gordon Glantz struggles whether to discuss these incidents with his daughter or shield her from the truth to avoid ruining her first real Olympic viewing experience.
The Eagles intercepted four first-half passes from backup quarterback Landry Jones, including one by safety Malcolm Jenkins (pictured) in the end zone, as they defeated the host Steelers, 17-0, in their second preseason game.
The Greek God of Wrestling provides a detailed preview of SummerSlam, which headlines an action-packed weekend of wrestling. Achilles Heel also previews events presented this weekend by Ring of Honor, NXT, EVOLVE and CHIKARA, heaps additional praise for the Cruiserweight Classic and tells us which off-screen WWE couple was suspended.
Chase Utley played his way into the hearts of Phillies fans with his accomplishments and his attitude. In his first game back at Citizens Bank Park, Phillies fans let Utley know he will always be at home in Philadelphia.
After taking just three snaps during the preseason opener, how long will starting quarterback Sam Bradford (pictured) play Thursday (7 p.m.) when the Eagles face the Steelers? We provide 8 questions to prepare you for Thursday’s game.